General Legal Technology
DNS for Lawyers? Yes, I suppose so. The Domain Name System is a really important piece of your network and getting it right is critical to the stability and performance of your systems. This article tries to explain how it works and give you information you need to either configure your DNS correctly or work with your IT support folks to make sure they are. Read more...
Microsoft is doing some good work around integrating Yammer and Skype for Business (FKA "Lync") for users. Unfortunately not many of our Office 365 users spend a lot of time in the web portal. Read more...
How to Disable Java
Oracle's Java scripting language has long been the target of security attacks, and currently we're seeing some fairly serious zero-day attacks against it. We're advising anybody who doesn't absolutely need Java to disable it. Here are instructions for doing so:
Understanding SOPA, PIPA and OPEN
The Internet is alternately buzzing and blacked out over a set of proposed laws before the United States Congress. This page will give you some resources and links to better understand what these laws are. Read more...
Like pretty much everybody who knows how the Internet works, I oppose SOPA and PIPA.
Office Suite Licensing - Microsoft vs. Corel
An article I threw together after an attorney inquired about Corel WordPerfect X5 licensing. Should you get the OEM version of X5? The Retail version? Something else? Read more...
Office365 Frequently Asked Questions (Updated 5/24/15!)
My firm Roland Schorr & Tower are Office 365 partners and so we get a lot of Office 365 questions. I started this article to address some of the more commonly asked ones. Read more...
Dropbox and Google and MobileMe Oh My...
Thinking about hosting your files on a web file syncing service? You should consider it carefully before proceeding. Read More...
Using Dual Monitors
It can be a lot more pleasant and productive to work with dual monitors. But there are a few things to know about setting it up. This article will help guide you. Read more...
Using System Restore to Troubleshoot
If Windows goes wonky on you, sometimes the built-in System Restore tool can get you back on track relatively painlessly. Read more...
- Check Your Social Media Security (NEW)
- Getting Backups Right
- Troubleshooting Printing (In Progress)
- Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows
- Troubleshooting Wireless Networks
- Encrypt Your Mobile Devices with TrueCrypt! (Updated!)
- Solosez Disclaimer Archive - By popular request, an archive of most of my Solosez Disclaimers
- Law Technology Glossary (Updated!)
- ABA TechShow 2011
- The Six Mistakes Law Firms Make When They Upgrade Technology (PDF) - An article I wrote and host over at my company's site."
- Twelve Things You Can Do NOW To Improve Your Security"
Here are some useful resources for lawyers to use for more information on law office technology.
- "10 Critical Computer Skills Every Attorney Should Know" - by Adriana Linares at I ♥ Tech.
Metadata Ethics Opinions Around the U.S. - A handy chart from the American Bar Association showing how various jurisdictions handle the ethics of metadata.
- ABA Legal Technology Resource Center - Excellent source for news and information on law office technology.
- Law Technology News
- ABA TechShow - The premier legal technology show. Next one is
April 11-13, 2011, at the Chicago Hilton.
- CiteGenie - a Firefox add-in that constructions citations for legal reseach you've copied and pasted from the browser. Works with Firefox 1.5 thru 3.
Last Updated: 05/26/2011